RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
The pictures show my original tank. I did try to clean by filling it up with warm water and letting it sit overnight. I also put some steam into the inlet port on the tank. Cleaning it did not work for me. I think cleaning has worked for some other folks. It just did not work for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to be clear, I tried cleaning my tank several different ways, tap water, distilled water, boiling water, sitting over night (several times), nothing worked. What finally worked was ordering a new tank. I spent about $650 for a tank for a 2017 vehicle. Worked like a champ.

I was going to cut my old tank apart and try to see what made it fail, maybe dig into the electronics and see if anything burned up but I lost the motivation to do that months ago. The tank is still sitting in my back yard. Does anyone want it?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Glad a 2017 DEF tank which is expensive but a lot cheaper than a 2014 tank works. Thanks for letting us know.

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Thanks sheep , didn't know about price differences , tought the DEF tanks were
all interchangeable from 2014 to 2018 ,
the more I learn about the DEF tank , the more complicated it gets for untuned people.
Also Thanks to BobCampbell for trying and succeeding at putting a 2017 DEF tank on a 2014 ,
going by post 18 in here : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/11676-def-tank-removal-flushing-5.html
I figured he would get codes because of different pins described in post by sheepdogtrail .

·
Registered
1 Posts
very grateful for this post and your shared experience with the DEF tank Bob Campbell & Sheepdogtrail. My 2014's DEF gauge just bailed at 176K km and got the dreaded km count down. I found a 2017 truck with 9K km in a local wreckers using Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. Should arrive today or tomorrow. The def tank+ will cost me less than $450 shipped. A little elbow grease and with a little luck I'll be back in business.

thanks!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
very grateful for this post and your shared experience with the DEF tank Bob Campbell & Sheepdogtrail. My 2014's DEF gauge just bailed at 176K km and got the dreaded km count down. I found a 2017 truck with 9K km in a local wreckers using Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. Should arrive today or tomorrow. The def tank+ will cost me less than $450 shipped. A little elbow grease and with a little luck I'll be back in business.

thanks!!
Welcome to the Forum DieselEco! I see this is your first post. Your 2014 ecodiesel is eligible for the recall (aka AEM) and the free extended warranty that comes with that recall. It covers the DEF tank fully. I had my DEF tank replaced under the AEM due to the gauge not working because the DEF tank sensor stopped functioning (common failure). You might find this link helpful: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/65458-p203e.html#post986198

Reactions: Ram1

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had my DEF tank and pump replaced about 3 weeks ago. Mine was fully covered under the AEM warranty as well. The pump wasn't functioning correctly, and neither was the sensor in the tank. I'd check back with your dealership on having your DEF components replaced under warranty. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I have yet to see the heating element in the DEF tank , and its position ,
rumored to be closer to the top of the tank than the bottom .
long shot but ,,,
I wonder if any of you guys that cut your tank open noticed the heating element ???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy cat dog bat fink! The bottom of my 2015 here in NL is mostly rust. My driveshaft is totally surface rusted and has flecks of rust falling off. Dang they put a lot of salt on our roads. Most fittings are rusted away and have to be cut off, these things are not designed for use in Canada.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my DEF tank and pump replaced about 3 weeks ago. Mine was fully covered under the AEM warranty as well. The pump wasn't functioning correctly, and neither was the sensor in the tank. I'd check back with your dealership on having your DEF components replaced under warranty. Good luck!
How did you folks get the tank covered? I just picked my 2014 back up from the dealer as they said the tank is not covered. My gauge shows less the 1/4 tank of DEF and 400 mile count down with nearly a full tank. Dealer had a nerve to charge me $14 for a gallon to top off the tank. The want $3100.00 to fix the tank issue. I'll drive this truck of a cliff before I give the FCA a dime for and DEF related issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just got a call back and was told my tank is not covered due to the dealer saying my DEF fluid maybe contaminated which caused it to crystallize and freeze in the tank. Live in CT truck is kept in climate controlled garage at night. Only use 2.5 gallon jugs from blue peak or something like that. And it froze? Which causes sensor to be bad? Tank is full also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks sheep , didn't know about price differences , tought the DEF tanks were
all interchangeable from 2014 to 2018 ,
the more I learn about the DEF tank , the more complicated it gets for untuned people.
Also Thanks to BobCampbell for trying and succeeding at putting a 2017 DEF tank on a 2014 ,
going by post 18 in here : DEF Tank removal and flushing
I figured he would get codes because of different pins described in post by sheepdogtrail .
Thanks guys that post was very helpful! I repaired my RAM 2014 in one day installing a 2017 tank d’or 400$ Canadian. Still expensive though for a level sensor!

101 - 112 of 112 Posts